You may know that we live in a teeny little 1 bedroom apartment right now, which we really love. It can, however, pose a space problem when we add a little one to our crew. Our bedroom is good sized, but the lack of storage space in our apartment makes our room a bit of a holding cell for summer clothes boxes and print enlargers and such... While we're looking for a new bigger place, we're just going to have our bambino sleep in our room, which I hear is pretty normal anyways for the first few months. So, I've been trying to gather some inspiration for making a little nursery corner of our room so that it doesn't feel like we just stuck a crib in there.
Speaking of cribs, I'm borrowing a co-sleeper that my sister has for the first few weeks, so that should save on some space initially. I'm hoping to find a small basinette that might work for a while with the small area we have available. I've seen quite a few that are gorgeous and I hope to find one that will work for us.
I'm looking for a small dresser to fit in there for the babies clothes - I might even be able to sneak a drawer or two from my and my husband's dressers...and then have a changing table on top of the dresser, rather than buying an entire unit. I also love the idea of a changing table on top of the crib (if we end up with a crib).
| {via} |
For decorating, I'm thinking of a cute mobile and some wall pictures. I'm sorry, but sailboats/nautical stuff just get me, so most likely it will look something like this:
![]() |
| 1/2/3/4 |
Any tips or tricks for small nursery spaces?


awww cute options!! our little guy slept in our room for the first 2 months! we had him in a moses basket/pack n play! he even slept in our bed sometimes too.. even though i was totally against it before having him!!! now he is 3.5 months and in his own room and crib!!
ReplyDeleteI love that you call your room "decent sized"! Living in our neighborhood for so long really does help us appreciate any bit of space we can eke out of a place! Your room is tiny. So is mine. Maybe someday our husbands will get us master bedrooms big enough for those benches people put at the end of their beds.... sorry got distracted by my dream room!
ReplyDeleteTo sum up, your room is tiny.
Love your inspiration. You guys are actual sailors, so I think it's ok for you to do the nautical thing. Don't forget that I have that great chambray and white bumper if you ever end up having a crib.
Love you. Super excited for another baby to be bouncing around here :)
Man, numbers two and three are so awesome. I've seen some cool posts about turning closets into nurseries and incorporating baby in to parent's 1br apt. Good luck :) I'm sure if you're breastfeeding you'll appreciate cosleeping. fun times ahead for you :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Sandy! I'm definitely scared of having him sleep with us in bed, but I'm curious to see if my feelings will change once we have him:)
ReplyDeleteYou're too funny Ash. I suppose it is quite small by today's housing standards:)
Thanks bhrett. We're total Whale lovers so i'm sure that'll work itself in somewhere! We're so excited to get to have a little person to enjoy all this stuff with!
~Jennifer
they're all so cute! for the first few months, my son slept beside our bed in a bassinet (the same one i slept in as a baby) which was great but if i was going to buy a piece i would probably get a cradle because it would have been convenient if we could have rocked him to sleep.
ReplyDeleteisn't it so much fun preparing for baby's arrival!?! :)
Ooo a cradle sounds like a good idea. Oh man I get more and more excited each day:)
DeleteHe is going to have the cutest nursery! Love that moses basket A LOT!
ReplyDeleteHopefully I can get it all in order and actually make it work:)
DeleteGreat options! I love that moses basket! I know all about having a baby in a small space. It can totally work! My husband and I live in a small one bedroom loft (meaning there is only a door to the bathroom)... so forget about a life after our baby goes to sleep :)... Which is why our 3.5 month old daughter sleeps in our walk in closet. But for the first month we just had her right beside our bed in a bassinet (I couldn't bear to have her the extra three steps away in the closet). Now she is in a mini crib in the closet and it works great!
ReplyDeleteYour nursery corner will be amazing I'm sure! Fun times ahead!!!
-Kevi
that's so encouraging! I've definitely been told that the first month or so, space really won't matter, but its nice to hear that its actually true:)
DeleteThanks!
Jennifer
these are some awesome pieces! we did the change pad on the dresser thing. I find it works best and the part I like the most is that I can take it off and use the dresser indefinitely afterwards too!
ReplyDeleteThe only thing that worries me about the changepad on the crib, is when they are older and start sitting up or standing. They can bump their head on it, and you will most likely still need a change pad well past their first birthday. We use ours still for J and he is 13 months :)
Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting by the way! xoxo