About | Featured | Website

Friday, July 26, 2013

Recipe: Ebelskivers



When I lived in Idaho for college, I remember some of my favorite breakfasts at The Old European Cafe, just a town over from where I lived. That's where I first had Ebelskivers and I fell head over heels. They are so delicious and versatile and just a bit more fun than plain old pancakes. You can make them sweet, with vanilla and powdered sugar or chocolate chips, or you can do savory cakes with sausage or bacon. I adore the savory and sweet taste of sausage filled Ebelskivers with a few drops of Maple Syrup. So, here is the basic recipe and how-to for these fun breakfast staples. 

You'll need an Ebelskiver Pan (and a cute little helper) to get started!



Basic Batter

1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, separated
1 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled

In a big bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks, then whisk in the milk and melted butter. Add the yolk mixture to the flour mixture and, using a wooden spoon, stir until well blended. The batter will be lumpy.

In a clean bowl using an electric mixer on high speed, beat the egg whites until stiff, but not dry, peaks form. Using a silicone spatula, fold about one-third of the egg whites into the batter to lighten it, then fold the rest just until no white streaks remain. Use the batter right away.



This is what your egg whites should look like:)

Making the Ebelskivers

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.

Brush the wells of the pan with some melted butter and place over medium heat. When the butter starts to bubble, add about 2 tablespoons of batter to each well. If you wish to add anything to the cakes (sausage, chocolate chips, etc.) now is the time!

Cook until the bottoms of the pancakes are lightly browned and crisp, 3-5 minutes. Use a fork or some small wooden skewers to turn all the pancakes to the other side and cook until lightly browned on the second side, about 3 minutes longer.

Keep the cooked pancakes in the heated oven while you finish the batch. Dust the cakes with confectioners sugar or syrup and serve right away.

(Recipe from Ebelskivers Cookbook. If you fall in love with them as much as I have, this is the book for you! Tons of variations and different batters. Love it.)



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment