Throughout my pregnancy, I've realized that there is probably not a single other phenomenon in the world that has more controversial and unresolved questions as what you can and can't do during pregnancy. Some women jog, others will only do prenatal yoga. Some will eat seafood, others completely abandon it. Some drink the occasional glass of wine, others keep away from it like it was the plague. I've seen recent studies that say one or two glasses a week will not harm your baby, but then of course no one is going to tell you that its actually a healthy drink while pregnant.
So I'm curious what your thoughts are: to drink or not to drink? Is it necessary to stop cold turkey or in just have a glass in moderation?
Oooo and I came across this printable the other day and wanted to share: Goodies for Pregnancy {via hellobee}. Reminded me that there is always non-alcoholic beer and wine:)
Oh my gosh, isn't it insane the different opinions people have and *must* share with you about pregnancy?? Ha, I just nod my head and smile.
ReplyDeleteI'm on the "moderation" side of things! I've had sushi a few times while pregnant (don't japanese women have lots of healthy babies??) and definitely agree that a glass of wine every now and then is A-okay. Enjoy it, girl!
Holy moly do people go crazy on the preggy rules! Bran and I went with Ecclesiastes on that one and agreed that certain things are ok in moderation. Sushi on my birthday and a glass of wine every now and then :)
ReplyDeletedon't French women drink wine all the time? I bet that the amount of wine you'd drink not-pregnant is totally fine to drink pregant, they just can't say that because for a lot of people one or two glasses means one or two bottles and that can't be good for the baby.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I'm definitely in the moderation camp on this one too. It's insane how many things are "dangerous" to consume when you're pregnant. I don't really drink anyway, but I'm not apprehensive about trying out Peter's beer or going to a sushi bar when I'm pregnant. And I'm definitely not scared of hotdogs and lunch meat.
ReplyDeleteMy first comment on your blog, but the question intrigued me since it's something that I've been dealing with as well. Since this is my first pregnancy and I was a bit paranoid I decided to hold back during my first trimester (especially since baby was working so hard to develop in those early weeks). Basically I didn't want to do anything that I could blame myself for if I had miscarried. But now that I'm in my second trimester I'm starting to relax a little, like occasional half glasses of wine with dinner. I'm with everyone else...moderation is key.
ReplyDeleteKara
I'm not pregnant, but I think I wouldn't drink at all if I were.. let's say maybe just a tiny sip for Bday or New Year's or something like that.. and probably I'd feel guilty even for that sip :)
ReplyDeleteI don't like any types of wine or other alcohol so I never really looked into it when I was pregnant. I did, however, drink diet coke both times!
ReplyDeleteHi there, thanks for the follow...
ReplyDeleteI have 3 boys and am all for everything in moderation. I don't believe that there is anything wrong with an occasional glass of wine during pregnancy. I craved Bailey's so that was my occasional treat.
Thanks for the all the insight:) Brenda, so funny that you craved Baileys! That's kind of what got me curious about wine because I've had a serious craving for the strong red stuff since I've been pregnant. I think it's God giving us extra self-control tests before the baby comes:)
ReplyDelete~Jennifer
I probably only had 4 glasses the entire pregnancy but that's because I'm more of a vodka girl - which I did not drink while pregnant!
ReplyDeleteAs for the sushi, I love sushi & could eat it daily - sadly I was warned away by every doctor I've ever met (I know a lot of docs) so I stayed away. Oh how I missed it!!!!!
What an amazing time you are about to have! I'm excited for you!
I had several miscarriages so I didn't take too many risks with my pregnancy that stuck. I was especially careful with anything that could cause the lunch meat toxicity issue, which I can't remember the name of. I'm not a big drinker to begin with, so I only had a couple of glasses of champagne total, one at each wedding we went to while I was pregnant. I did have a single cup of coffee each morning. There was no way I could give that up ;)
ReplyDelete