Having grown up in Maryland, seafood took up a hefty portion of our food pyramid. While at college in Idaho, I was this close to ordering steamed crabs from home to be shipped out. I was never a huge fan of the oyster, clam and mussel clan, but after trying this recipe, I fell in love with the savory dish, full of garlic and sweetened by wine. The best part of this recipe is that it take 10 minutes tops to throw together. Serve it with some crusty bread and the leftover wine and you've got yourself a meal.
I remember spending Sunday afternoons at my Grandad's river house, swimming off the pier until our fingers got wrinkled and then drying off and eating crabs. The saltiness of the river and the seasoning made the taste such a strong memory.
When my Dad would make oyster soup, he made a cream base and would pick out the oysters so that us kids could have some soup with him. Of course, we added the oyster crackers, so basically we had cracker soup, but oh was it good.
There is this place in Baltimore called L. P. Steamers that has a rooftop deck overlooking the city. Its a divey bar restaurant, but the rooftop takes the cake. They haul trays of crab, steamed shrimp, hush puppies and everything else up three flights of outdoor stairs to your table. On a summer night, this felt like the epitome of fine dining:)
The first time I made mussels, we were newly married and I was (and still am) trying to figure out good dishes that my husband liked. I was so happy when he scraped the bowl clean with his bread. One more recipe added to my stash.
Enjoy!
![]() |
| Recipe adapted from America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook |
![]() |
| All photos were taken by my lovely husband Horace on VSCOcam. |
Don't forget to enter the last of the Christmas Giveaways with Kallio NYC here!
(For a bonus entry, pin the giveaway on Pinterest:)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)

.jpg)
Great pictures babeYES I EDITED THEM WITH VSCOCAM
ReplyDeleteah yes.
Deleteseriously, I love your storytelling alongside your pictures
ReplyDeletethanks lovey
DeleteThese look SO good Jen!
ReplyDeleteThey sound wonderful! I had mussels once and, well, frankly they were awful. They tasted like a barn smells. Is this what you would call an acquired taste or did I get a bad batch at the restaurant? I love their elegance. Should I give them another shot?
ReplyDeleteOh that's terrible! Sounds like a bad batch. They still taste very seafood-ish and kinda salty, but they should definitely taste and smell good lol. The white wine and garlic should be the main smells. Definitely try them again, but make sure to fix a little something on the side just in case they don't suit your fancy:)
DeleteHaha Horace cracks me up with his comments - what a sweet hubby :)
ReplyDeleteThis may just be my most favorite post ever. I miss those days of swimming in that gross river! Those crabs were the best. Thanks for the LP steamers recommendation, too. Bran and I need a summertime date night there. Love you so much. Can't wait to have these on Christmas!!!
He makes me laugh too:) Can't wait for Christmas Dinner either! love
DeleteSuch sweet memories! And, we should ALL go to LP Steamers!! But, I still hate mussels :( I will try one on Christmas, though.
ReplyDeleteI'm loving your blog! These pics are wonderful! Xo
ReplyDeleteThanks Meg!
Delete~Jennifer
OH, looks so yummy! I can eat mussels all day, especially when they are made with lots of garlic and butter! -Jessica L
ReplyDelete