My husband spent a few of his college years working as a barista at the hip kids coffee shop in town. He worked really hard at learning the art of coffee and was definitely one of the best baristas as the shop. Since then, he has kept up his desire to explore different ways of making coffee and I am the one that reaps the great benefits! Most mornings he makes me delicious espresso/lattes and it starts my day off in the best possible way. I wanted to share some of his (and now my) favorite methods of making coffee and all the cool little gadgets to get the best brew.
First and foremost, the Bialetti. My wonderful college roommate introduced me to this contraption and we use it every day. The water starts in the bottom container and is forced through a filter in the middle where the coffee grinds sit. It then explodes out a little nozzel in the top part and creates a really nice espresso drink. It makes great espresso for gulping down or sipping with some ice cream in an affogato.
You can buy one at Williams-Sonoma.
The siphon/vacuum pot looks more like drug paraphernalia than a coffee pot. Kenny got this while visiting the coffee capital Seattle and swears by it. The grounds are put in the top canister, while the bottom bowl is filled with water. A flame sits beneath the pot and eventually heats up the water in the bowl which miraculously gets sucked up into the top part. And scrumptious coffee is born. Kenny thinks it has a bit of a tea-like flavor, more subtle than the Bialetti produces. You can find them on Amazon.
Last but not least, you can't make yummy lattes without a great little whisk. While you can spend up to $30 for one, I found mine at IKEA for $3. For that price it makes really good frothed milk.
On our Wishlist:
| Good ol' Chemex drip coffee maker |
| Conical Burr Coffee Grinder |
| Vietnamese Phin Filter |
The Conical Burr Grinder. That is a classy looking piece of steam punkish coffee grindery.
ReplyDeleteI'm definitely not much of a coffee drinker, but I loved your description of everything! You'll have to show me the siphon vacuum the next time I'm at your house - that thing looks so cool!
ReplyDeleteI want to be there when the siphon vacuum is fired up! I had the BEST vanilla latte ever in my life at OWC, made by Horace. I could go for another one right now. Please.
ReplyDelete