About | Featured | Website

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Twenty.9

Day 9

When I go home, I am ordering 2 things from Amazon: Declan O'Rourke's debut CD and teh Irish Presbyterian hymnal. While we have not experienced a vast amount of Irish music, we have heard of a couple of things that peaked my interest. While sitting in Miss Annie's kitchen/ dining/ living /junk room, I heard a radio broadcaston one of Cork's local stations, where they played the song "galileo" by O'Rourke. The song is goosebump status. I wrote down a couple of lyrics( Because even in IReland, they never tell you the name of the song you really like) and found this guy on google. Awesome singer, awesome song.
The Irsih Presbyterian hymnal I found at Trinity Presbyterian Church right here in Cork, about a block from out hostel ( I can see the steeple from my window). The service was great and ther people were lovely. The pastor said 2 things that really struck me.
First, he laid out what it means to pray. His sermon was on missions, which rely on prayer, thus this aside:
Praise
Repent
Ask
Yield

The first 3 are obvious parts of prayer, but the last was a good reminder. I often struggle with wanting to take control of situations instead of giving it up. But when we pray, we ask God for His will to be done. We are to yield for Him and let HIm guide us. Without yielding, our prayer is pointless. As simple as this image was, it was a good thing to hear.
Second, he talked about how in missions, there are several key components, such as urgency, trust, and your relationship with God. But he also mentioned the vulnerability there is in missions. All throughout Scripture, we see images of the lamb as Christ. When evangelizing, we are to be humble of Spirit and tongue. The arrogant, smart-alec never truly wins the argument. The other thing is that when we are given the truth, as we are in Scripture, there is no reason to be heated or arrogant. I think arrogance not only comes from people who think they know it all, but also comes from people with little doubt in their position. Arrogance exposes a person, while humility exposes the truth.~

1 comment:

  1. That is a good reminder.

    And I'm looking forward to hearing that O'Rourke person.

    ReplyDelete