About | Featured | Website

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Twenty.8


Day 7

The Blarney Stone: Kiss it and never be at a loss for words. At the top of the Blarney Castle, sites the Blarney Stone, kissed by the likes of Winston Churchill, Sir Walter Scott and the Dwyer Sisters. After passing through the Castle with it's many ruined rooms and windows and the amazingly tight and steep stairway, you reach the top of the castle. To kiss the stone, You must lay on your back and lean backwards and upside down to kiss the well worn stone. It is a much greater feat than one would imagine. I got the kiss it twice because Ash forgot to take a picture. So, wither I have twice as much eloquence or the second time canceled out the first kiss. I'm leaning towards the latter.
After strolling through the grounds of the castle, we headed off to the nearby town of Kinsale, a town very reminiscent of Annapolis, sitting on a bay. Our B&B is what one would call "I won't recommend this to any I wish to remain as my friend" grade. But Ash and I are the toughest girls i know, so we made it work. And w got a TV and a hot shower to boot. And Breakfast!
The town in obviously a summer town, because all the B&B's and hostels I saw online are actually closed. As we were walking around, we went into a B&B above a bar where they offered us a room for 40 euros. As we walked out, this old man ran out to tell us he has a place for us to stay, right up the road for half the price. Thanks a million Con O'Sullivan!

Day 8

My face is burning. As well are my feet. My backpack seems to have doubled its original weight and I can only wear mud caked clothers to church in the morning.
I honestly don't care about any of that because I am on the trip of a lifetime with the only other girl who could do this with me. I think the above is the most complaining I've done this whole trip, even though we've done some pretty hard stuff, that I don't think any other two girls would have done so well. To name a few:
  • Seeing the Cliffs of Moher in a hailstorm
  • Creepy bus station bathrooms
  • "Uni-sex" bathrooms for 3 days.
  • Not shower for the same 3 days.
  • Sleep at Miss Annie's on a broken bed
  • Wear the same clothes for a week
  • Carry the extra person on our backs
  • No makeup and no razors. 'nuf said
And we have done all that and more without shedding a tear. Although we have laughed until we cried quite a few times:
  • Ash falling on her back at the Cliffs
  • "Ah, typing"
  • Me "falling" out the window of the Blarney Castle
  • Me falling down a muddy hill at Blarney Castle
  • How bad I am at taking pictures of Ash
  • "Deener"- Irish for dinner
  • Me speaking Gaelic in my sleep
  • Ash hitting her head on pretty much anything above her (Bus roof, Bunk bed, Castle wall etc.)
  • "Have you ever seen a whale..."
  • Hold it in, in the Dominican
  • Man stance in the tulips
  • Meester Geenis

3 comments:

  1. I hung out with Meester Geenis Last night!! I just wanted to let you know you did a great job leading choir today
    T

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! Sounds like there are a lot more stories in there.
    What a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy crap - i couldn't remember what "hold it in in the dominican" was about, and then i remembered and just about died laughing :)

    ReplyDelete