With Jen still touring the Emerald Isle with her best friend, I, her mother, am once again attempting to not embarrass myself or my family, by filling in for her.
My note this week is about how this seemingly short, fun trip "across the pond" is changing the face of my family forever. I realized the other day, that when Jen and Ashley return from Ireland, everything is different. It has been a time of letting go, releasing my "mother hold" from my daughters, they have flown from our nest. What possible response could I have to anything they want to do? They have shown themselves to be responsible, have made good choices and survived for ten days without my constant interference. My posture is now one of looking forward to their return, their independence, their going again.
I cannot say that I am sad about this. It is but one long, delightful chapter in a book that I do not know the end of. I look forward with joyful anticipation at what lies ahead. I am also enjoying the freedom and independence I have rediscovered in myself. Have I forgotten who I was before they came? Or am I still the same person forever changed by their stamp on my life. Will they relate to me in the same way or will we see each other differently? Will they respect me in a new way, after all I have also survived these ten days without help from them!
I cannot wait for them to return. My life is too quiet, peaceful, dull, calm without them. But when they do, things will definitely have changed. They will always be my daughters, but now I see them as women, grown ups, adults. My relationship with Gregg has changed as well. He has suddenly become an only child. This will require some adjustments, as we found out just this week!
As God deemed me somehow worthy to be their mother, I realize now that only the first part has been completed. We now move into a new era. Mothers, daughters, women, sisters in Christ. How exciting is that? I imagine these chapters will overlap at times, we will go in reverse perhaps, but none the less things will never be as they were. My heart is joyful about what lies ahead. God is constantly reminding me that he is in charge, I am his vessel.
I thought I would post some picks for the week since I actually have some :)
For the girls: Robert Andrew Salon. Go ahead, treat yourself!
For the guys: Gift certificates to Robert Andrew Salon! (for the girls of course!)
For all: Banana bread. What a great treat after a lazy Sunday afternoon.
Jen returns from Ireland on Wednesday, so goodbye from the Mothership :)
My note this week is about how this seemingly short, fun trip "across the pond" is changing the face of my family forever. I realized the other day, that when Jen and Ashley return from Ireland, everything is different. It has been a time of letting go, releasing my "mother hold" from my daughters, they have flown from our nest. What possible response could I have to anything they want to do? They have shown themselves to be responsible, have made good choices and survived for ten days without my constant interference. My posture is now one of looking forward to their return, their independence, their going again.
I cannot say that I am sad about this. It is but one long, delightful chapter in a book that I do not know the end of. I look forward with joyful anticipation at what lies ahead. I am also enjoying the freedom and independence I have rediscovered in myself. Have I forgotten who I was before they came? Or am I still the same person forever changed by their stamp on my life. Will they relate to me in the same way or will we see each other differently? Will they respect me in a new way, after all I have also survived these ten days without help from them!
I cannot wait for them to return. My life is too quiet, peaceful, dull, calm without them. But when they do, things will definitely have changed. They will always be my daughters, but now I see them as women, grown ups, adults. My relationship with Gregg has changed as well. He has suddenly become an only child. This will require some adjustments, as we found out just this week!
As God deemed me somehow worthy to be their mother, I realize now that only the first part has been completed. We now move into a new era. Mothers, daughters, women, sisters in Christ. How exciting is that? I imagine these chapters will overlap at times, we will go in reverse perhaps, but none the less things will never be as they were. My heart is joyful about what lies ahead. God is constantly reminding me that he is in charge, I am his vessel.
I thought I would post some picks for the week since I actually have some :)
For the girls: Robert Andrew Salon. Go ahead, treat yourself!
For the guys: Gift certificates to Robert Andrew Salon! (for the girls of course!)
For all: Banana bread. What a great treat after a lazy Sunday afternoon.
Jen returns from Ireland on Wednesday, so goodbye from the Mothership :)
Wonderful thoughts. Sounds like their trip has been a journey for all of you.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I think you should start your own blog after they return!
Wow, how beautifully stated! You have done a great job raising up two incredible women,and because you have trusted in God's guidance worked so diligently you can now start to enjoy the fruits of your labor. So ENJOY!
ReplyDeleteI agree with angie, you should start your own blog.
My husband has been watching me pour my heart out (cry like a baby) while writing these two blogs. I suggested this is good therapy, he thinks I need to write my own blog like I need a hole in my head. I tend to agree with him ;) Cheryl
ReplyDeleteSo, how did you know I was "anonymous"? Anyway that was very nice (and a little intimidating) it funny... I got a little of that only child vibe from gregg last night.
ReplyDeleteTyler you are the second person who has claimed to be anonymous ;)Mrs. D
ReplyDelete>>he thinks I need to write my own blog like I need a hole in my head<<
ReplyDeletelol! Well, you might have been weepy during that time whether or not you were blogging, right?
Anyway, I hope you'll at least keep putting in a guest appearance here from time to time.