About | Featured | Website

Monday, March 31, 2008

Twenty.4

3 comments:

  1. Loved the story! Did you know there is a little known Shakespeare sonnet based on this legend? Apparently he wrote it shortly after penning Sonnet VII: When I do count the clock that tells the time.

    Here it is: "How do I hide the cloak that takes the bride"

    How do I hide the cloak that takes the bride
    To sea and waves beyond the cliff and shore?
    It may be fairly difficult to hide...
    She'll start her search when she steps in the door.

    Perhaps the orchard, hid among the leaves;
    Nay--it would show when trees bare in the fall.
    Or in the barn, pushed back behind the sheaves...
    I've got it now--I'll hang it on the wall!

    O mermaid! How thy beauty drives me mad
    That I would hold thee captive as my wife!
    I've seen you gazing seaward, seeming sad...
    And yet--you must admit it's a fine life.

    Alas! She has espied the tapestry...
    Hey, kids--your mother's jumped back in the sea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like it would be fun to illustrate... and I've wanted to try water colors... would you ming if I gave it a try?
    T

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your illustrations, and the book-writ format (lol, format, or, well, just pictures)
    I was going to ask if it was your story, but Mrs. B answered my question.
    So, instead, I'll ask, what is your take on the story?

    ReplyDelete